Paper towels are your kitchen staple, cleaning up spill after spill (after spill!). But they don’t have to stop there—they have a lot more uses than you may realize that will save time and money. Check out these game-changing paper towel tricks to see how:
1. Keep your lettuce fresh for longer. Fresh, healthy greens have a bad habit: They turn brown and slimy in the fridge. Simply wrap herbs or lettuce loosely in dry Sparkle® Just White paper towels, place them in a zippered plastic bag, press out as much air as you can, and seal the bag. Now they’ll stay crispy and fresh for days longer.
2. Corn de-silker. Corn on the cob is a summery treat, but prepping it, not so much. Rather than pluck each strand of silk from the ear, grab a damp Sparkle® Just White paper towel and give it a quick, brisk rub. Perfectly clean cobs, ready to go!
3. Revitalize hardened brown sugar. Got a block of rock-hard brown sugar in your pantry? Pop it in a plastic bag with a damp Sparkle® Just White paper towel and zap it in the microwave for 15-20 seconds.
4. De-fat your broth. You know that fatty, scummy surface that develops on the top of homemade soups and stocks? Skim the surface with a Sparkle® Just White paper towel. The fat and grease stay in the towel and all you’re left with is delicious, clear soup base.
5. Substitute coffee filters. You stumble into the kitchen and reach for your coffee filters only to realize you’ve run out. No worries, a paper towel can handle that job, too. Fold the towel a Sparkle® Just White paper towel sheet in half, then fold it in half again. Spread the open ends apart so that you’ve formed a cone, then use it just as you would a paper coffee filter. Morning is saved!
6. Garden and planet-friendly. On top of everything, paper towels are biodegradable. Once your paper towel has done its job, it can go in the compost bin rather than adding it to the landfill.
*Article originally appeared on Parents.com http://www.parents.com/partners-content-2/?CleverPaperTowelUses&sm_t=FVoBIMi
Don’t forget to download a coupon for a little extra savings on a pack of Sparkle® paper towels mentioned above.