5 Ways To Make It Magical This Memorial Day!
For most folks, Memorial Day weekend is the unofficial start of SUMMER (you have to say that with ALL CAPS ‘cause it’s so exciting, you know). With so many things you could do, coming up with a plan for what you actually will do can get a little overwhelming. But don’t worry, we’ve got you covered with some #BrightIdeas for Memorial Day that both you and your favorite people can enjoy. Here are five ways to celebrate the holiday and have some fun along the way as you cruise into summer.
1. Stuffed Burgers
Add a little twist to this American classic by stuffing it with your favorite cheese and/or veggies for a quick and delicious Memorial Day meal. Create this mouth-watering burger in no time with just a few simple ingredients:
- Ground beef (or ground turkey substitute)
- Cheese (bleu cheese crumbles, cheddar cheese, pepper jack, etc.)
- Diced veggies (onions, green peppers, spinach and tomatoes)
- Seasonings (black pepper, garlic powder, a dash of paprika and a little salt for added flavor)
- Egg whites (optional)
- Non-stick skillet
- Kitchen scraper or spatula
- Place your non-stick skillet on medium heat and coat with cooking spray, cooking oil or even good old-fashioned butter will do!
- Mix your ground beef or ground turkey in a bowl and add your desired seasonings, spices, and egg whites (optional).
- Divide meat into 8 chunks, forming each into ½-inch-thick patties.
- Take a tablespoon of blue cheese crumbles, shredded cheddar or other favorite cheese and press into the center of 4 of your patties with either a spoon or your hands.
- Repeat step 4, but this time with veggies.
- Take the extra 4 patties and firmly press them together to seal in your stuffed ingredients.
- By now, your pan should be hot and ready! Place each patty into the skillet. And allow them to cook for 4 minutes on each side.
2. Pool Time!
Whether it’s in your own backyard (lucky you!) or your neighborhood’s local community pool, there’s nothing better than cooling off in the pool on a nice warm holiday weekend. Grab your swimsuit and a good book and relax poolside. (P.S. Don’t forget your sunscreen!)
3. Go Berry Picking
Summer is the perfect time of year to visit your local U-pick farm. Enjoy the sweet satisfaction of picking your very own fresh strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, peaches and more! This popular American pastime can be enjoyed with friends and family, and many farms even offer fun farm activities for kids.
4. Moment of Silence For Those Who’ve Served
With all the great activities happening for Memorial Day, it can be easy to forget the true meaning of the holiday. Take a moment to reflect and show respect for fallen soldiers with a meaningful moment of silence. This is also a great time to brush up on historical battles and learn more about our military’s history.
5. Send a Care Package To Active Duty Service Members
A great way to celebrate the holiday is by also honoring current active-duty soldiers with thoughtful care packages. Items such as personal hygiene products, gift cards, sunscreen, snacks and mints are highly requested items that are inexpensive and easy to pack. Be sure to search online for more detailed info on how and what to send.